I would just like to point out that the beginning and end of Spirited Away creep me out in the most delicious way possible. I’ve always been a fan of fairy tales, and not just the Grimm and Anderson stuff, almost all my life. Like the honestly faerie court stories.
Themes you see in those reflect strongly in this movie, and comparing them side by side just makes it that much more stark.
Often times you hear that if you get sucked into the fairy realm, you shouldn’t eat their food. It gives them power over you. More often than not, heroes finally escape the fairy realm after what they perceive to be a very short time (a night or a week)…
…only to find that seasons or years have passed.
‘Hey, it’s all dusty in here. Is this someone’s idea of a joke?’
CRAPPING SHIT I WHY HAVE I NEVER NOTICED THIS
This always freaked me out a little as a kid. Like the OP, I couldn’t help but wonder how long REALLY passed. I always pretended it was something like a week but… Judging by that moss, I can’t say for sure.
A week? Try much MUCH /MUCH/ longer. The plants are a good indicator but a better one is the statue. We’re seeing it from the same angle in each shot. Look in the first one before she enters, it’s not NEW but you can tell what it is.
Now look at the second frame. It’s so eroded it’s just a dull, flat stone.
That thing is solid stone, that must have taken up to, if not more than, a DECADE to wear down that much.
Not to mention that there are new trees next to the car. Just remember how long it actually takes for trees to grow real quick.
Evidence is suggesting they were in there for maybe around 20-30 years.
I’d personally put it more at 100 years myself, and that is really terrifying.
I grew up in a forest, and I’ve been to a lot of cemeteries. Now granted, we don’t know what kind of stone that is, or what kind of trees those are, but why carve a statue out of stone that will degrade so quickly? Also, save for quick-growing pines, all the trees out in the forest barely grew any larger over my 28 years of life, and none of the stones around our property were worn any noticeably smoother by the elements. There were trees planted when I was a child that are now only big enough around that just my middle finger and thumb meet when I grasp their trunks. But again, I’ve watched maple trees absolutely shoot up into magnificent trees over my lifetime. It’s really hard to tell with trees.
Headstones are a good indicator of how quickly stone wears down since they’re generally dated. In my family cemetery, the relatively soft limestone headstones from 1860-1900 are incredibly difficult to read, but you can -still- make out the dates so even after 100+ years they’re still not worn smooth, and limestone’s pretty quick to degrade. We also have a lot of rain and air moisture where I live, which breaks them down faster. I’ve seen ones made of granite from the 1600’s that can still be read.
So it could just be an oversight and they didn’t intend to make it look like that much time had passed, but when I see that smooth statue, it horrifies me.
Throwing in my own two cents, I think the state of the wall can be a good indication of how much time has past. I agree with the 100+ year estimate, as what appears to be paint and plaster has not only completely broken away, but the underlying concrete bricks have been entirely exposed AND are growing thick vegetation. That takes a lot of time. Hundreds of years, even. I mean, there are still preserved frescoes and plasters in domestic buildings in Rome that have survived centuries, meaning that this place is not only old, but entirely abandoned. I wonder why?
Sui’s super late 4/13 giveaway
Originally I had planned to have a giveaway on 4/13 but I ended up not having the time or money to do it. I know it’s late but hey, everyone loves a giveaway. Alright, let’s check out the prizes.
Winner will receive:
- 1 pair of troll horns (No ancestors, Tavros or Aradia)
- 1 troll shirt (hand painted. Yes, that includes Caliborn)
- 1 god tier shirt (hand painted)
- 1 Derse or Prospit shirt (hand painted)
- 1 tote bag with whatever kid/troll symbol
- 1 Scalemate
- 5 mini figures
- 2 beta or alpha kid symbol necklace/charm
- 3 homestuck theme hair bands
- 1 Large Frombie shirt (I got this as a gift, it’s too big for me to wear)
- Secret surprise (if you were one of my original followers)
- One Reblog (any more and you are disqualified. Unless if you were one of my original followers you get an extra reblog
- One Like
- NO SIDE or GIVEAWAY BLOGS PLEASE. I will check!
- You DO NOT have to be following me. This is open to anyone.
- Ask box must be open for me to message you. If the winner doesn’t reply with 24 hours or their ask box isn’t open, I’ll give the prize
- to the runner up)
- US resident only (I will be paying for shipping as well. You must feel comfortable giving me your address so I can send the items to you) If you live in Canada and are willing to to pay for shipping, you may enter the giveaway.
- Ends May 31th at 11:59pm PMT
Winner will be chosen via Random Number Generator.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me an ask.
Thank you and good luck!
200 follower giveaway that is kind of late :’D
I HAVE HERE IN MY POSSESSION, THREE PACKAGES OF NEW SAKURA MICRON PENS.
Since I already have a pack of microns, I don’t need these. Grandma apparently bought a shit ton of microns and gave them to me so I am passing them on TO TUMBLR!
There will be three winners, all will receive one pack of microns free of charge!
All you have to do… is follow these rules:
- Only one like/reblog (to keep it fair to everyone!)
- Must live inside the USA (sorry, shipping is killer!)
- Must have askbox open (I can’t contact you otherwise!)
- Must reply to winning ask within 24 hours (or I will choose someone else)
- DOES NOT need to follow me
Giveaway ends on 6/1/13. URLs will be printed, cut out, and drawn from a hat cause I’m oldschool like that and am too lazy to figure out online methods.
Winners will be announced and contacted on 6/2/13 and microns shipped as soon as possible (the faster you reply, the faster I ship!)